Saturday, December 26, 2015

Our Scary Day at the Hospital

Our whole family passed around RSV this week.  We all got over it pretty quickly but any infection can be bad for a diabetic. Boaz was acting tired and had a low grade fever on Christmas Day. I decided he should go see the pediatrician in the morning so we can knock out whatever secondary infection he had gotten (I thought ear infection).  When we woke him up, we check his ketones with his blood ketone meter as per sick day intructions. The meter read 5.4 which is considered large. Ketones are produced when the body uses up fat for energy instead of carbs. They are common (but still dangerous) with high blood sugars but can come with low or high sugar when you are sick. The ketones are a byproduct of the body burning fat and can be toxic if too many get into the blood stream.  We have often flushed large ketones at home (as has many diabetic parents), but know to head to the hospital if he is lethargic or vomitting as these are signs of ketoacidosis (DKA). 

After fighting Boaz, to no avail, to look at his ears, his pediatrician sent us over to the hospital to get labs for infections and DKA.  At the lab, Boaz fought and thrashed and screamed just like he did at the pediatrician.  He totally broke our hearts because we could tell that though he was physically fighting us, there was no fight left inside him. He even whimpered when we check his sugar! 

We left the lab and were driving through Wendy's for lunch when the doctor called and told us we needed to head to the ER.  His bloodwork showed that he was in DKA and we were just a few numbers away from being admitted into the PICU!  We arrived at the ER and told them that we had a diabetic in DKA and we needed to go straight back (which our doctor had told us to say). We ended up waiting about ten minutes (a diabetic in DKA should NEVER have to wait!) and while we were waiting, he vomited- a major sign of DKA.  At that point I got up and went and told them AGAIN that he needs go to straight back. Thankfully, they took us back a few minutes later.  Once we got back, I took Emory and Greyson to the pediatric waiting room while Josh stayed with Boaz for the doctors to start an IV and do a chest X-ray.  The X-ray showed a spot that they thought was pneumonia but later determined it was just puffy from his RSV.  

After a few hours in the ER, we were told we would be admitted. Boaz had fallen asleep and they came in to check his vitals. He was SATing at 88 so we had to wake him up to see if that would bring the SATs up. We had a REALLY hard time waking him up.  It freaked us out!   The nurse wasn't concerned but we were! 

Somewhere between the time of being told we would get a room and actually GETTING a room, my parents came and picked up Greyson and Emory and then my sister and brother-in-law brought coffee and came to visit.  It is so nice having family nearby when we have to stay at the hospital! 

Shortly after they arrived, the nurse took us up to our room. Boaz was still out of it but he was slowly getting better. Before long, he was sitting up and had most of his color back.  His nurse brought in a few Christmas presents from the hospital and that perked him right up! We were all amazed to see him sitting up and playing!  

His next set of bloodwork came back better, which was a relief. We ordered him some dinner (more then I thought he would eat) and he scarfed it all down when it came! He hadn't eaten since that morning so we were happy to see an appetite again! 

At this point, he is eating and playing and watching tv. His ketones were up a little this morning (4.2) so I requested they run his bloodwork again. The talk is that he will be discharged today but we will see what the bloodwork says.   Thank you all for your prayers and visits! Please continue to pray and I will update you as we get more info. 


  1. Thanks for the update. Still praying for Boaz and hoping the blood work comes back ok. Giant hugs!

  2. Thanks for the update. Still praying for Boaz and hoping the blood work comes back ok. Giant hugs!

  3. Praying for Boaz and all of you!

  4. Praying for Boaz, and for you and Josh. How scary for a mama heart to go through. I love that he has a stuffed Baymax to cuddle with!


Comments are motivation! Share your thoughts.